John 19:1-3 (NKJV) So then Pilate took Jesus and scourged Him. 2 And the soldiers twisted a crown of thorns and put it on His head, and they put on Him a purple robe. 3 Then they said, “Hail, King of the Jews!” And they struck Him with their hands.
The soldiers mocked Jesus. He was innocent, and He should have been set free. However, Pontius Pilate condemned Jesus to be crucified in order to appease the Jewish religious leaders and the angry crowd they had assembled. It was entirely unlawful and wrong. But God used it for our good. It was God’s plan of salvation all the long. Through the shed blood of His Son Jesus Christ, we are saved. God reconciled all who would believe unto Himself through the substitutional sacrifice of His only begotten Son. The soldiers had beaten Jesus to a pulp. Jesus was so badly mutilated that he was unrecognizable. Then they led Jesus to be scourged. Jesus was whipped with the cat-of-nine-tales, whose lashes were tipped with barbs. It was designed to tear away the victim’s flesh exposing muscles, vital organs, and even the victim’s spine. Jesus endured this tremendous beating for you and for me. “Just as many were astonished at you, So His visage was marred more than any man, And His form more than the sons of men” (Isaiah 52:14 NKJV). The soldiers put a scarlet robe on Jesus, and they “twisted a crown of thorns and put it on His head,” then they drove the crown of thorns into His head. They mocked Jesus even more and tore of the robe. Then they forced Jesus to carry His own cross to Calvary where He was crucified. “He is despised and rejected by men, A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him” (Isaiah 53:3 NKJV). “But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed” (Isaiah 53:5 NKJV). While Jesus was on the cross, He said seven things before His death. Four of these were a fulfillment of prophecy:
1. (Luke 23:34 NKJV) “Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots.” (Prophesied in Psalm 22:18)
2. (Luke 23:43 NKJV) “And Jesus said to him, “Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.””
3. (John 19:26-27 NKJV) “When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing by, He said to His mother, “Woman, behold your son!” Then He said to the disciple, “Behold your mother!” And from that hour that disciple took her to his own home.”
4. (Matthew 27:46 NKJV, see also Mark 15:34) “And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”” (Prophesied in Psalm 22:1)
5. (John 19:28 NKJV) “After this, Jesus, knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, “I thirst!”” (Prophesied in Psalm 69:21 and Psalm 22:15)
6. (John 19:30 NKJV) “So when Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, “It is finished!” And bowing His head, He gave up His spirit.”
7. (Luke 23:46 NKJV) “And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, “Father, ‘into Your hands I commit My spirit.’ ” Having said this, He breathed His last.” (Prophesied in Psalm 31:5)
And with that, Jesus’ work of atonement was completed. My friends, Jesus endured all of that excruciating pain and suffering even until death because the penalty for sin had to be paid. Jesus paid it all, because He loves you and He loves me. Jesus gave up His life that we may be saved. “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God” (Hebrews 12:1-2 NKJV). My friend, have you accepted Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? Jesus died for you that you may have eternal life. Will you surrender your life to Jesus today?
God Bless and have a great day in God’s Word.